20140923

"Now THAT'S what I call an elevator."
I said right before I woke up.
You should have seen it.


 "My, how foolish I am!" my friend cries, suddenly alert, like a woman remembering too late she has biscuits in the oven. "You know what I've always thought?" she asks in a tone of discovery and not smiling at me but a point beyond. "I've always thought a body would have to be sick and dying before they saw the Lord. And I imagined that when he came it would be like looking at the Baptist window: pretty as colored glass with the sun pouring through, such a shine you don't know it's getting dark. And it's been a comfort: to think of that shine taking away all the spooky feeling. But I'11 wager it never happens. I'11 wager at the very end a body realizes the Lord has already shown Himself. That things as they are"—her hand circles in a gesture that gathers clouds and kites and grass and Queenie pawing earth over her bone—"just what they've always seen, was seeing Him. As for me, I could leave the world with today in my eyes."
 -Truman Capote




/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Secrets of the Universe

There was a spectacle over a giant silver ball that was bigger than a building.
It was virtually flawless and brighter than a hundred full moons.
On the night of the opening, the ball was slowly lowered so that it came to rest just slightly above a circular platform.
With no visible ropes or pulleys, cranes or other machines, the thing came to rest.
Those that attended observed only that the ball wasn't there and then it was.
It was never questioned how the orb descended to the ground without the use of apparent technology.
While in the presence of the ball, the individual viewer experienced a feeling so profoundly confusing that they were be unable to convey the emotion to the person next to them.
The sculpture was made from an indescribable and original medium.
It was truly contemporary and completely timeless at once and manufactured by either an individual or collective.
The event was never discussed in review or media. It was not absorbed on any understandable human level and may have had numerous unknown effects or consequences on the psyches of those present.
The orb appeared in dreams- the dreamer may have witnessed a scratch or dent on its smooth, mirrored surface.
The imperfection always healed itself before the dreamer awoke.
The dreamer never mentioned the giant silver ball to loved ones or therapists.
It was eventually uninstalled and melted down into a million separate and impractical objects.