20170320

A dream parable:

I'm seated alone at a large table in a crowded restaurant.
It's dark and noisy and I scroll through my iphone for solace.
Suddenly, a group of men sit themselves down all around me and I become uncomfortable with the invasion of my personal space.
I run outside and keep going until I reach a steep hill. I climb and climb until I get to the top and I find myself sitting on the side of a highway.
Across the road is the most beautiful valley I've ever seen. It's warm and the sun is shining.
There's a group of lambs looking at me. The smallest one slowly crawls across the highway towards me and I scoop it up into my arms and cradle it like a baby.
I'm happy but I have an overwhelming need to take a photo of the lamb so I can share it with my friends. I try to take the photo but my phone has a virus and won't open the camera. I keep restarting it but the virus won't go away. After some time focusing on the broken phone, I look down to see the lamb has gently fallen asleep on my shoulder. My heart melts. I turn my phone over in my hands and realize it is a decoy. My real phone must have been stolen back at the restaurant and replaced with the virus copy.
I set the lamb back on the ground and watch it walk back to the valley. I want to cry.

I explain this dream to my companion at brunch. Later as I'm checking my messages he says "You could be holding the lamb right now instead of looking at your phone."